Skip to main content

The Van Build

On September 27th, 2016 I started the process. I'd never even built a birdhouse. My gracious ex-boyfriend, now friend, gave advice and tools and did most of the wiring and solar. I did all the construction, insulation, flooring, paneling and cabinetry. I had a trip to Florida planned in November and I finished up (mostly) the day before I left.


Nasty! Carpet removed, lots of work to do!

Much better!


Two Fantastic fans installed, and two layers of insulation on the floor

Followed by plywood

Wall insulation

Paneling going up

t
This part nearly killed me! Had to be perfectly straight going in or it bucked and almost took off my arm!

Bed goes in next

Battery box/clothes closet

Batteries and wiring, almost done

Solar panels done!
I finished everything but the cabinets, so once again, plastic bins to the rescue.
 After returning from a month in Florida I completed the cabinets.
Ikea copycat, built to their spec, their bins

Completed shots of the van.

Finished product....is it every really finished?

Kitchen area, fridge below


Some would call these girly colors, I call them happy!

View from the rear


Side view

Been lots of places, many more to go!


A couple of notes. I had originally built the back end as a "garage" and had planned to add an a/c, hence the 2x4 frame in the back. But after traveling I realized I was always following the 70-degree weather, and so far I haven't needed one. An a/c adds a lot of weight, not just the unit, but the gennie required to run it and extra gas. Having the frame allows the break from front to back and still gives me a separate area for tools, etc.
Secondly, people always ask about hygiene. I have a potty and a shower, rudimentary as they are, but hey, I'm a backpacker so I'm pretty low maintenance to begin with. :-)
Van life, and nomading, in general, has become increasingly popular with young and old alike and there are amazing builds out there. For me, it's not about the van, it's about the adventures. My van is uniquely me and it suites my needs perfectly.








Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Layover and on to Arkansas

I spent 5 1/2 weeks off the road and felt something akin to what a thru hiker experiences after coming off the trail.The best part was hanging out with my dog while she convalesced from pneumonia related to heart disease. She's almost 14 and has a plethora of health issues. It was wonderful to see her rally back to her old self. I also spent some time doing a few updates to the van and going to doctor's appointments, including PT for my neck. Cricket doing what she does best these days Finally time to hit the road again. First stop Arkansas for hiking and backpacking and visiting with  friends at the Backpacking Arkansas Gathering after a 2 yr hiatus. It was a rainy weekend with a big storm arriving in the middle of the night Saturday. Fortunately only small hail but some high winds. I decided to leave the van parked at the pavilion for the night. I'd noticed a tree at my campsite that was only anchored to the ground on one side. About 2:30 AM I was up watching the we...

Westward Ho 5: Oregon and Northern CA Redwoods

Driving down the Oregon coast is just jaw dropping! It also had some of the steepest inclines I'd traveled so far. I got an early start as usual heading down Hwy 101. First stop was to be Cape Meares NWR. Unfortunately, about a mile from the entrance there was a newly fallen tree. I was only the third person to reach it and the first one was calling it in.  The car in front of me turned around and I, not knowing how long it would take to remove it did the same. What a disappointment, there was old growth forest up there! So, I continued down the coast looking for the next refuge or spot of interest. The amazing thing about Oregon is that all the beaches are public, mostly in the form of state parks or recreation sites. I was stumped by this at first, thinking like Texas they all had a fee charged. Mostly they rely on a state pass, but I found that was mostly needed for camping, not day use. There were also lots of free camping pull offs right on the beach. After making my way to Ne...