Skip to main content

Westward Ho 3: Yellowstone

I headed up to Island Park, Idaho just outside of West Yellowstone and camped a couple of days. It was a very pretty spot but wet from the rain and I was a little nervous about driving off road but it was fine.
View from my campsite, Island Park, ID

I drove into Yellowstone at the crack of dawn only to realize I wasn't alone.
Buffalo and people  early morning Yellowstone NP

It turned out to be a beautiful but cold, windy day.



What can I say, it's a fabulous place, and a must see, but I just couldn't wrap my head around all the people. I did a couple of short early morning cold hikes and gave up. If I'd been braver I'd have gone into the back country but the weather and warning from the visitor center about bear activity spooked me and I headed into Montana.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Layover and on to Arkansas

I spent 5 1/2 weeks off the road and felt something akin to what a thru hiker experiences after coming off the trail.The best part was hanging out with my dog while she convalesced from pneumonia related to heart disease. She's almost 14 and has a plethora of health issues. It was wonderful to see her rally back to her old self. I also spent some time doing a few updates to the van and going to doctor's appointments, including PT for my neck. Cricket doing what she does best these days Finally time to hit the road again. First stop Arkansas for hiking and backpacking and visiting with  friends at the Backpacking Arkansas Gathering after a 2 yr hiatus. It was a rainy weekend with a big storm arriving in the middle of the night Saturday. Fortunately only small hail but some high winds. I decided to leave the van parked at the pavilion for the night. I'd noticed a tree at my campsite that was only anchored to the ground on one side. About 2:30 AM I was up watching the we...

The Van Build

On September 27th, 2016 I started the process. I'd never even built a birdhouse. My gracious ex-boyfriend, now friend, gave advice and tools and did most of the wiring and solar. I did all the construction, insulation, flooring, paneling and cabinetry. I had a trip to Florida planned in November and I finished up (mostly) the day before I left. Nasty! Carpet removed, lots of work to do! Much better! Two Fantastic fans installed, and two layers of insulation on the floor Followed by plywood Wall insulation Paneling going up t This part nearly killed me! Had to be perfectly straight going in or it bucked and almost took off my arm! Bed goes in next Battery box/clothes closet Batteries and wiring, almost done Solar panels done! I finished everything but the cabinets, so once again, plastic bins to the rescue.  After returning from a month in Florida I completed the cabinets. Ikea copycat, ...

Westward Ho 5: Oregon and Northern CA Redwoods

Driving down the Oregon coast is just jaw dropping! It also had some of the steepest inclines I'd traveled so far. I got an early start as usual heading down Hwy 101. First stop was to be Cape Meares NWR. Unfortunately, about a mile from the entrance there was a newly fallen tree. I was only the third person to reach it and the first one was calling it in.  The car in front of me turned around and I, not knowing how long it would take to remove it did the same. What a disappointment, there was old growth forest up there! So, I continued down the coast looking for the next refuge or spot of interest. The amazing thing about Oregon is that all the beaches are public, mostly in the form of state parks or recreation sites. I was stumped by this at first, thinking like Texas they all had a fee charged. Mostly they rely on a state pass, but I found that was mostly needed for camping, not day use. There were also lots of free camping pull offs right on the beach. After making my way to Ne...