Skip to main content

Winter on the Texas Riviera and Big Bend

At the end of December I headed south, making my way first to Magnolia Beach, a free camping area complete with hot showers near Port O'Connor. I spent a few weeks there before the weather turned ridiculously cold and I moved down the coast. I loved this spot, riding my bike, going for long walks, and watching spectacular sunrises and sunsets. I met a young couple from Toronto who had quit their jobs as designers and built a really cool Sprinter with the plans of circumnavigating the US to AK and back to Canada, also looking for their next home. Yes.....I did get a bad case of van envy. :-)
One of many beautiful sunrises, Padre Island

My reasoning for heading to the Texas coast had a lot to do with birding, which I started when I retired. I spent a few days in Rockport, then moved down to Padre Island National Seashore. I spent a full 14 days there and lucked into a turtle release, as well as seeing my first and only to this date, Aplomado Falcon, of course as luck would have it, that evening I didn't have my camera or binoculars with me, just my cell phone on which I was able to get a decent enough picture for a positive ID. Go me! :-)

While in Corpus Christi I had a new set of tires put on the van when I discovered walking out of a laundry mat that I had a really bad spot on one. Turned out two were really bad and I got a really great deal on a new set, which saved me when I got to the backroads of Big Bend.


Green jay, Rio Grande Valley
After saying goodbye to PINS I headed to the Rio Grande Valley, which isn't actually a valley, but it made a great sounding sales pitch for developers so I was told. The birding there was off the charts! My original thoughts were to stay 4 days......I ended up staying 12. On my 62nd birthday in February I got my Geezer Pass!

I gradually made my way up the border to Salineno and Falcon Lake, meeting a great couple from Florida. Then saying goodbye, headed up to Pecos to spend a night at the Judge Roy Bean Visitor Ctr. where they allowed free overnight parking at the community center. Got my first Say's Phoebe there.

At last on to my favorite national park so far, Big Bend. I checked in with the ranger early that morning and worked out my itinerary. For a total of 10.00 I spent 14 days at various backroad campsites, birding and hiking and enjoying the incredible solitude that is BIBE.

Moon over Big Bend

It was finally time to head toward home, via a drive through the Hill Country, a stop in San Antonio to see old high school friends, then on to Austin to visit friends there and drop in to see long lost relatives.  Upon reconnecting with my younger cousin Nica, she presented me with a beautiful quilt for the van.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Layover and on to Arkansas

I spent 5 1/2 weeks off the road and felt something akin to what a thru hiker experiences after coming off the trail.The best part was hanging out with my dog while she convalesced from pneumonia related to heart disease. She's almost 14 and has a plethora of health issues. It was wonderful to see her rally back to her old self. I also spent some time doing a few updates to the van and going to doctor's appointments, including PT for my neck. Cricket doing what she does best these days Finally time to hit the road again. First stop Arkansas for hiking and backpacking and visiting with  friends at the Backpacking Arkansas Gathering after a 2 yr hiatus. It was a rainy weekend with a big storm arriving in the middle of the night Saturday. Fortunately only small hail but some high winds. I decided to leave the van parked at the pavilion for the night. I'd noticed a tree at my campsite that was only anchored to the ground on one side. About 2:30 AM I was up watching the we...

Westward Ho 5: Oregon and Northern CA Redwoods

Driving down the Oregon coast is just jaw dropping! It also had some of the steepest inclines I'd traveled so far. I got an early start as usual heading down Hwy 101. First stop was to be Cape Meares NWR. Unfortunately, about a mile from the entrance there was a newly fallen tree. I was only the third person to reach it and the first one was calling it in.  The car in front of me turned around and I, not knowing how long it would take to remove it did the same. What a disappointment, there was old growth forest up there! So, I continued down the coast looking for the next refuge or spot of interest. The amazing thing about Oregon is that all the beaches are public, mostly in the form of state parks or recreation sites. I was stumped by this at first, thinking like Texas they all had a fee charged. Mostly they rely on a state pass, but I found that was mostly needed for camping, not day use. There were also lots of free camping pull offs right on the beach. After making my way to Ne...

The Van Build

On September 27th, 2016 I started the process. I'd never even built a birdhouse. My gracious ex-boyfriend, now friend, gave advice and tools and did most of the wiring and solar. I did all the construction, insulation, flooring, paneling and cabinetry. I had a trip to Florida planned in November and I finished up (mostly) the day before I left. Nasty! Carpet removed, lots of work to do! Much better! Two Fantastic fans installed, and two layers of insulation on the floor Followed by plywood Wall insulation Paneling going up t This part nearly killed me! Had to be perfectly straight going in or it bucked and almost took off my arm! Bed goes in next Battery box/clothes closet Batteries and wiring, almost done Solar panels done! I finished everything but the cabinets, so once again, plastic bins to the rescue.  After returning from a month in Florida I completed the cabinets. Ikea copycat, ...